Use a death record as a source of medical history and family history.
Cancer: an abnormal mass of tissue (tumor) of potentially unlimited growth that can become death threatening.
Gene: the chemical unit that contains the dominant and recessive traits that are passed on from one generation of species to the next.
Genetics: a branch of biology that deals with the traits inherited through genes.
Genealogy: the science of studying about our ancestors (also called family history).
EPISODE EIGHT: MEDICAL HERITAGE
This episode shows how family history can be used to discover a familys medical history. Part one introduces Carol Krause. She never imagined that her family history would save her life. Because Carol created a family medical pedigree documenting her ancestors health, she was able to save her life and the lives of her sisters. In part two, experts Vickie Venne and Raymond White will show how to begin building your own medical pedigree.
Before Viewing the Episode
After Viewing the Episode
1. What was her full name?
2. What do you suppose was her maiden name?
3. What was her husbands name?
4. Do you think that the person listed as the
informant was a reliable source of the information?
5. What was the immediate cause of her death?
6. Approximately how long after her exploratory
surgery did she die?
7. How old was she when she died?
8. In addition to her operation and death dates, what
two other events and dates are given about her?
9. What was the name of the township where she died?